Pune is one of the main centers for academia and business in the country. The vibrant city is a beautiful amalgamation of culture, spiritualism, history and modernism. The development in and around the city has improved so much over the years that many global companies have decided to set shop here. This metropolis is the starting point to success and acquiring a secured future. No wonder, the property rates are shooting through the roof, and turning living in Pune in an unaffordable dream. However, if you play your cards right, moving to Pune should not be an overwhelming experience.
Here are a few guidelines to help you move to Pune without burning a hole in your pocket.
- Look online: Looking up places online can help you rent a place at a much cheaper rate compared to the traditional way. By searching for rental flats in Pune on MagicBricks can help you compare prices of the various options available to you and see if they fit your budget and your lifestyle.
- Look for something small: Consider your family size, your lifestyle, visitors, storage and your pets; accordingly decide the number of rooms you require. Keep in mind living in downtown Pune or the hub of the city, can prove to be costly. Hence, if not required, opt for a relatively smaller size house.
- Share the apartment: Sharing the apartment can take away a significant amount of pressure from your finances. However, make sure you obtain the landlord’s permission first, and then draw up a written agreement with your flatmate stating he is obligated to pay his share of the rent.
- Consider transportation costs: The cost of living in Pune city can be expensive if you have to travel far to get to your destination, like school, college or work. Make sure the place you pick is either close to your job or education institution or the transportation from your new home to other destinations is good and cheap.
- Pick a place outside: Usually rents are much more affordable on the outskirts of any city. Not only you can save money on your rent, but you will also be able to afford a bigger place, if required. However, there can be a flip side to this. Schools, colleges, business hubs, shopping malls and other vital components that make the city thrive are generally located at its heart. So, check out apartments in the suburbs, which are conveniently located near your work or children’s school.
- Look for a student concession: Many landlords offer a concession to students. Ask your landlord before you settle on a flat. Student concessions can be a major game changer for you as they can help you save a lot of money on rent.
- Negotiate: The prices specified are not necessarily fixed; there is always a scope for negotiation. So try negotiating with the landlord to see if he budges in terms of the rent amount. However, you can do it only if you have done proper research on the rents of the places in the vicinity.
- Let go of amenities: A few old buildings, if usually three or four storied, do not have elevators and/or do not employ security guards; hence their rents are also low. If you do not mind climbing up and down the stairs and do not keep any valuables at home, you can get the place for a song. However, check out the structural strength of the building.
Now, that you have all the information for getting a cheap accommodation in Pune, use it wisely and to your advantage.